[kictanet] Sh4.7 billion health data technology in limbo

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Mon Jun 25 22:48:21 EAT 2018

To add on to this discussion:-

1. How does a project of this magnitude that involves both the central government and counties go through without the senate being involved?

2. Zero policy framework on the Portability of data and Accountability of the different players in the health sector regarding the security and sharing of sensitive personal health data, usage of the same for health policy development etc.

3. There is a serious need to share data on healthcare but without a framework from soft and hard issues (from a technical interoperability perspective to basic customer service point view) what we will have is pedestrian execution and supply side driven procurement as opposed to real need. For example in a cloud computing world why the heck do we need data centers? The current data centers in the country are under utilized, NOFBI remains largely dark fiber and yet someone has approved the procurement of more servers..

4. There needs to be a holistic view of healthcare that covers the whole Healthcare sector.  As a country that is touted as a leader in tech across Africa we fall far short of Rwanda in the Portability and Accountability aspect of Healthcare data. See the link below from a discussion last week that I had on LinkedIn regarding this very subject and see how emotive the issue can be.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6414664588985536512

5. Here’s a link to a discussion on HIPAA (The US’ Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) which Kenya can actually borrow from. I challenge the leaders in Government on this list to collaborate with us to lead policy in this very important matter.

https://searchhealthit.techtarget.com/definition/HIPAA

6. Lastly, when important matters like health are left to the vagaries of the ‘free market’ this is what we get.

Ali Hussein
Principal
AHK & Associates
+254 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."  ~ Aristotle

Sent from my iPad