[kictanet] House Intel chair calls for ban on electronic voting systems

John Paul Karijo johnpaulem at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 06:38:53 EAT 2018

Hi Listers,

Firstly, I feel that there will be always those who will blame ICT for
human moral flaws.
Once upon a time it used to be the spirits, the Gods, the devil and the
ancestors who took the heat nowadays we blame "the web" "the cloud"
Cambridge Analytica - and vifaranga... let us use those terms for what they
really are - we can't blame interconnected computers or server space for
our messes.

Kenya had a manual election with electronic identification - but when
things went south we blamed "vifaranga vya computer" and servers - even
when we had an opportunity for recounts.

Secondly for us to truly build "Wakanda - like" Africa we have to decide
what is good for us. If USA or California want to go back to paper - we
can't follow them. Here in Kenya everything is crying for us to free it
from the paper - land transactions, Kenya Revenue Authority, birth and
death registrations.

Finally if we want technology to mitigate our human flaws - it can.
If we make Sovereign Self Identity a thing. If we digitize our birth and
death registration... If we power public participation through
technology... if we use the Blockchain for our elections.

With kind regards

Jeipea

Believe in yourself then you can change your world

Skype: john.paul.em
Cell: +254735586956

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 4:48 PM WANGARI KABIRU via kictanet <