[kictanet] Safaricom S.I.M. Swap Debacle...

Ngeno,Titus titus.ngeno at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 15:08:11 EAT 2018

My Friend:

Certainly, if we look beyond today´s outdated technology.

SIM cards are how networks identify that a phone has a subscription
connected to it. In other words, it is a crude, hardware-based system for
user identification.

I can already connect to my bank and identify myself from any device, and
move large amounts of money (well, if I had any). This system uses software
only. I can access my email using a personal username and code, software
only. I can log on to my corporate network, apply for a passport, or make
payment online using NO dedicated hardware. Oh, and by the way, I can make
phone calls using any of a multitude of apps like Messenger, Skype, etc.

It is clear that fairly advanced, high-security applications manage well
without SIM-cards. Some smart watches already employ “e-sim”, replacing the
need for a cumbersome, costly, and inflexible SIM-card. If I could log on
to my computer at work using a code, I could use it to receive my phone
calls if I left my phone at home.

Why do phone companies dally? It is hard to explain. Handling and
distributing SIM cards is likely costly. One theory is that a hardware
device is harder for us to exchange, making the threshold for switching
operator higher. If all I needed was a personal code, I could switch
operator in a second, benefiting from better prices. It could also be pure
technological inertia. Telecom is very much controlled by global standards
that change only slowly.

I am sure we will see SIM-less phones very soon (or we might simply abolish
telephony altogether, and use the app of our choice on the device of our
choice.)

Yours

Mosonik

On Sat, 21 Jul 30 Heisei at 2:03 PM, Joseph McDonald via kictanet <

> In April i lost 123k to these fraudsters.It is very simple to make
> preventive measures make availability of mpesa after sim swap to be 24-48
> hours.Then make activation process be similar to a new line where the
> person has to go personally with ID.But if someone has access immediately
> then many more are going to lose money.Maybe we need a class action
> against  safaricom for being vicariously liable.I should give omtata a
> shout ....by the way
>
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 09:53 Michael Bullut via kictanet, <
>
>> Greetings Team,
>>
>> With the story doing rounds on social media, has Safaricom issued a
>> statement on the same? Anyone from Safaricom on the list care to comment?
>>
>> Warm regards,
>>
>> Michael Bullut.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> *Cell:*
>> *+254 723 393 114.**Skype Name:* *Michael Bullut.*
>> *Twitter:*
>> * @Kipsang <http://twitter.com/Kipsang/>*
>> *Blog: http://www.kipsang.com/ <http://www.kipsang.com/>*
>> *E-mail:* *main at kipsang.com <main at kipsang.com>*