[kictanet] Kenya IGF Online Discussions. Day 3. Developments in Fintech and E-commerce

Hillary Cheserek hcheserek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 10:01:52 EAT 2018

Hi John,
Just a clarification. A distributed Ledger is a set of nodes distributed
geographically and operating independently using an agreed protocol. The
protocol is designed to verify certain data and ensure that it is
synchronized. Blockchain is one form of a distributed Ledger that utilizes
either proof of work or Proof of stake. Bitcoin for instance utilizes the
proof of work protocol and nodes compete to solve a complex puzzle by
hashing the previous block in the current transaction. Proof of stake means
you have more voting power based on how much you have and it is believed
that you cannot compromise the network because you have a stake in it.
Please note also that Cryptocurrency is the product of  some Distributed
Ledger systems as an incentive for the independent members to run the
nodes. It is possible to run a distributed system without Cryptocurrency in
a controlled environment or with certain contracts. There are protocols
like hyperledger and Hashgraph which examples of distributed ledger
protocols outside of the crypto world. They can be used in the supply chain
world to link regulators and manufacturers.
The opportunity in DLT is so huge. It is limitless.

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 3:42 PM, mauxdatabase via kictanet <