[kictanet] Kenya IGF Online Discussion Day 4 : Emerging Technological trends

carolyne mimano carolynemimano at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 21:52:07 EAT 2018

Hi Grace,
No its definitely not enough.
But mainly not just because of the education system but more because as a
society, we haven't embraced contionous learning that goes beyond the
required education system.
We see education as a chore rather than a way through which we can be
better and continously improve.Learning shouldn't just be in school and its
purpose is not just a certificate.It's to improve what we currently
have.Something that we are really not focused on as a country

Regards
Carolyne

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 9:39 pm Grace Bomu, <nmutungu at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> technologies include 5G, passenger drones,Bluetooth 5.0, Quantum
>>> Computing,Smart Dust,Foam Batteries,Li-Fi (Light Fidelity),Deep Mapping
>>> ,Mixed Reality,Multi-sensory interfaces,Bio-based materials and
>>> Programmable materials.
>>>
>>> These technologies are already at various stages of implementation in
>>> various parts of the world.
>>>
>>> John Kariuki
>>>

>>> On Friday, July 13, 2018, 1:39:34 PM GMT+3, David Indeje via kictanet <
>>> kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>>>

>>> Listers,
>>>
>>> It is true that as information becomes more accessible through the use
>>> of mobile devices for stakeholders throughout various sectors, people are
>>> gradually moving toward more efficient ways of enhancing efficiency,
>>> increasing incomes, and capturing more value by linking fragmented markets
>>> in the case of the agriculture sector.
>>>
>>> However, it has been proven that many at times, people's existing
>>> (local) knowledge, and expertise, or their experience in the context of the
>>> local operating environment is rarely taken into account when programs or
>>> solutions are designed for them.  Policy makers or developers need to have
>>> an understanding that the end user of any innovation is a customer not to
>>> be seen as a beneficiary. Therefore it is good to have policies in place
>>> that nurture domestic ICT skills. On the other hand, the government needs
>>> to ensure accessible and affordable tools, and  ensure that the private
>>> sector is capable of offering mobile broadband / infrastructural services
>>> at affordable prices
>>>
>>> *Kind Regards,*
>>>
>>> *David Indeje *
>>>
>>>  +254 (0) 711 385 945|  +254 (0) 734 024 856      Khusoko
>>> <http://bit.ly/2eJF9B4>
>>>
>>>   <https://www.facebook.com/DavidIndeje/>
>>> <https://twitter.com/David_Indeje>
>>> <http://ke.linkedin.com/pub/david-indeje/17/7b9/647>  Skype:
>>> david.indeje
>>>

>>> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 at 12:40, Ronald Ojino via kictanet <
>>> kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Barrack for the response.
>>> Indeed emerging technologies play a great role in our society and they
>>> hold the key to the future
>>> As Ali has pointed out, it is unfortunate that there has been no
>>> feedback from the govt as regards policies to regulate these technologies .
>>> If there are policies we will definitely end up adapting these technologies
>>> in a structured manner. I hope this discussion injects some impetus to the
>>> policy formulation process for the emerging technologies.
>>> Artificial intelligence seems to have gotten a head start in terms of
>>> implementation across various sectors.
>>> 1. Apart from Agriculture and Manufacturing, in which other sectors has
>>> AI been implemented (if possible examples)?
>>> 2. What of technologies such as IoT i.e smart grids/ smart agriculture
>>> etc, Virtual reality and Whitespace technology are they being implemented
>>> 3. What of blockchains, any progress in its implementation in the lands
>>> registry?
>>> Over to you members.
>>>

>>> On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Ali Hussein via kictanet <
>>> kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>>>
>>> Barrack
>>>
>>> I can confirm that no feedback was ever forthcoming from the Ministry on
>>> the Policy document that this list contributed to.
>>>
>>> Where we are at as a country the policy formulation related to these new
>>> technologies to ensure that the government keeps apace of not only
>>> regulatory issues regarding these technologies but also creating a
>>> continous enabling environment is a critical component of growing ICTs.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> *Ali Hussein*
>>>
>>> *Principal*
>>>
>>> *AHK & Associates*
>>>

>>> Tel: +254 713 601113
>>>
>>> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>>>
>>> Skype: abu-jomo
>>>
>>> LinkedIn: http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
>>> <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>
>>>

>>> 13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,
>>>
>>> Chiromo Road, Westlands,
>>>
>>> Nairobi, Kenya.
>>>
>>> Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
>>> mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
>>> organizations that I work with.
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 9:54 AM, Barrack Otieno via kictanet <
>>> kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Ronald,
>>>
>>> I will attempt to address the questions in no particular order.
>>>
>>> 1.  I think the current policy was developed in a forwad thinking
>>> manner. It would also be nice to find out the status of the revised