[kictanet] Building Owners Impeding Telecom Services Roll-out Due To Lack Of Laws – Tom Makau

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 08:16:27 EAT 2018

Hi Grace,

Indeed , i recall a couple of years back , the issue of paying attention to
the building code arose during our Internet Governance Forum discussions.
Most contractors don't pay attention to proper standards while laying
cables , be they electricity or communications cables. One doest need to go
far, just observe how the fibre to the home is deployed by most
contractors, no wonder most estates are always offline.

Best Regards

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 11:21 PM, Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) via kictanet <

> These are also good points for engagement with county governments/Senate
> ICT committee as ordinarily, building plans are approved at local
> government level. I recall wayleaves being mentioned during discussions on
> the draft ICT policy and hope that this was captured in the final document.

> kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>:
>
>> Relevant points for the parliamentary committee on ICT to consider.
>>
>> 5 years ago, recall hearing complaints about isp's/telcos messing up
>> buildings with cables all over the place. Even windows were being used to
>> get cables into offices from wimax dishes on the roof.
>>
>> Some progressive cities/states have telco/cable setup guidelines for
>> buildings
>>
>> Hong Kong - 2012 -  https://www.coms-auth.hk/filem
>> anager/statement/en/upload/104/cop201201e.pdf
>>
>> Singapore - https://www.imda.gov.sg/regulations-licensing-and-consulta
>> tions/frameworks-and-policies/interconnection-and-access/
>> guidelines-on-use-of-telecommunication-riser-ducts
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 7:39 PM, Sidney Ochieng (princelySid) via
>> kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>>
>>> Building Owners Impeding Telecom Services Roll-out Due To Lack Of Laws –
>>> Tom Makau
>>>

>>> https://tommakau.com/2018/01/21/building-owners-impeding-tel
>>> ecom-services-roll-out-due-to-lack-of-laws/
>>>
>>> Lots of common sense suggestions here, the CA and ministry should take
>>> notes. Without the base infrastructure the Information Age we’re hoping to
>>> skip to will not come. 4G/wireless is not the answer to this countries
>>> connection needs, not with its caps or costs

>>> ailman/options/kictanet/murigi.muraya%40gmail.com

>> --
>> SMM
>>
>> *"Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one
>> who takes a city." Prov 16:32*

>> ailman/options/kictanet/nmutungu%40gmail.com

> Grace Mutung'u
> Skype: gracebomu
> @Bomu
> PGP ID : 0x33A3450F

> mailman/options/kictanet/otieno.barrack%40gmail.com

Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277
+254733206359
Skype: barrack.otieno