[kictanet] Day 2 of Talk to the Senate (2017-2022 Priorities)

Collins Areba arebacollins at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 21:23:07 EAT 2018

@Kanini thanks for the great stewardship so far.

My 2 Cents:

1: Resource allocation.

I am of the opinion that over and above budget allocation to ICT, is the
overarching elephant in the room: Standards. My personal experience with
ICT procurements in the county is that they are mostly vendor driven. As a
result, there will be 47 different approaches to solving IT problems and
systems designed are often overpriced and often-time not really value for
money. They also don't talk to each other, and terms of engagement are also
gray. All the issues discussed, data protection, etc etc are subject to
terms of engagement that we the public might not be privy to.

Ill Give an unrelated example of a 15 year revenue collection contract that
my county got into with some private entity, something that exposes loads
of personal information & data to a third party who may not be bound to
data protection responsibility that would be expected of elected
government.

Question / suggestion to the senate.

Maybe its time the law defines what the bare minimums should be in ICT
procurements, and what acceptable standards for valuation should be, and
what standard Terms of reference should be whenever contracts of this
nature are executed.

Regards,
Areba.