[kictanet] Day 1 of Talk to the Senate (2017-2022 Priorities)

Deborah deborah.wanjugu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 11:06:21 EAT 2018

Poleni sana! Here they are.

I have noted the Ministry of ICT has a program targetting MNAs to see that they have ICT hubs in their respective constituencies. The funds to set up these hubs are to be deducted from CDF kitty, about 1 million for every ward in the constituency.

At the same time, Nairobi county CIDP wants to ensure there is access to ICT in the county by also building hubs (I think). I have not read any other CIDP so I cannot confirm whether this is ongoing in other counties.

This is a duplication of efforts within the same area. Wouldn't it be more prudent for the national government to partner with ICT departments in the counties for the development of ICT? Wouldn't it make more sense for national executive to speak with county executive? Wouldn't it be a better use of resources for the two levels of government to work together on similar matters?

In my view this is how devolution will work. The current set- up of the national government working with MNAs to further ICT looks more like decentralisation, which undermines devolution.

I have noticed this strategy is not just with ICT but also with the Ministry of Industrialization (setting up industrial zones at constituency level while counties are also doing the exact same thing) . There is need to relook at how the national government is interacting with other players in the entire government structure so as to streamline all activities and avoid duplicating efforts.

Regards,

Deborah