[kictanet] 1 billion to the DCI to fight cyber-crime

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 00:30:20 EAT 2018

I am of the opinion (sorry, there must be a better word, but the wine in my
head has locked it out from access!) that the problem starts and ends with
the USFAC - Universal Service Fund Advisory Council or whatever that
moribund thing is called. It's been in office since Matiang'i was CS ICT
till now. How many years are those?
This forum has always called for the use of the USF for certain purposes. I
remember Collins Areba once gave out very compelling reasons on where the
USF should come into play. It's several years since and the USFAC have just
been sitting on their laurels.

It is time that AC is disbanded. I hope they don't draw any salaries or
allowances for being in that AC, because if they do, they need to refund
every single enny they've drawn for "doing nothing".

And we must strongly come out and tell Uhuru Kenyatta that the USF is not
subject to his directives. I must say that him having appointed some guy
called Kinoti to be DCI, who owes allegiance to him, does not augur well
with his DIRECTIVE. That is corruption and I am not willing to listen to
"jameni, mnataka nifanye nini?" with my taxes!

USF must be used for what it was conceived for, not for CID Forensics Lab,
which is built by Administration after Administration.

One wishes for the days of Bitange Ndemo's tenure at the ICT Ministry,
because even a fly could raise an issue and Ndemo would engage.

This error or Mucheru where opacity rules is chocking!

The bottom line though is that presidential directives constitute an abuse
of the USF when there is an Advisory Council.

That moribund Advisory Council need to GO, a new one constituted and USF
applied only on improving access to telecommunications for the citizens,
not funding the DCI, which should have a budget, just like the military
have a budget. The DCI have a budget for their operations and it's not
supposed to be drawn from the USF. That is THEFT.