[kictanet] TV signals turned off

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at kictanet.or.ke
Thu Feb 1 13:12:02 EAT 2018

@Kiama, a point of correction. The longest switch off in 2015 was
actually self imposed by the big media houses in protest (or should I
say they kicked a tantrum) over the dispute of the digital migration
dispute. See one of the many articles at the time:
Kenyan TV channels off air after digital migration
row: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-31485671

@ Dorcas, in as much as the content of news is dominated by politics,
there is also lots of great development content. Blame it on our
environment which is dominated by politics.  Look at the issues we
agitate for: electricity/blackouts, clean and enough water, food...all
these are political issues. @ Kiama points out these concerns
clearly.  And in his contribution yesterday, @Wakaba did bring out
(maybe he was subtle) the 'other' role that the media has. Infact,
local productions have huge audience following. And now as innocent
audiences, we are now the 'grass' that has to suffer.  There must be
alternate ways of solving the impasse without dragging innocent
audiences into this! And a shut down is harsh!

@Wambui, great insight. We forgot that  the FoI became an Act in
2016. I like the fact that you outlined the process of requesting
information from the State. This provides a great opportunity for the
affected media houses to test it. @ Wakaba, will you guys do it?

Best regards

Githaiga, Grace