[kictanet] Day 1- Policy and Regulatory Framework on Privacy and Data Protection

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 09:33:47 EAT 2018

Dear Mercy,

Many thanks for this thread and apologies for coming in late to the
discussion. While we are late as a country in having a Policy and
Regulatory Framework on Privacy and Data Protection i still have a number
of questions lingering at the back of mind that might be straight forward
but which i still feel i should share:

1) How much data are we generating as a country and to what extent should
we regulate? Looking at it from a country code Top Level Domain
perspective, more than 80 % of global registrations are in the European
Region followed by China, their markets are generally at a point of
saturation hence the efforts to ensure that the right policy and data
frameworks (GDPR) are in place. On the other hand most African countries
(Kenya included) are still net consumers of foreign content despite
regardless of efforts made to promote local content. My general comment
would be that the Policy and Regulatory framework on Privacy and Data
Protection should promote Innovation in data science /analytics. It is my
humble opinion that at this point in time, our ICT Industry is at at
nascent stage and lots of personal data might be required by developers to
come up with innovative products and services. I think the notion that we
are a Silicon Savanna is a bit far fetched because day by day we are
discovering that most of the Innovations we are celebrating locally have
roots elsewhere. So far the Policy looks great, it is my hope that it wont
get mutilated when it lands in the August House as has been the case with
previous policy and regulatory frameworks.

Regards

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 11:39 AM william mathenge via kictanet <

> Hi listers,
> I concur with @Francis. Data minimisation is essential in guaranteeing the
> least possible data breaches in the event of compromised systems or
> databases.
> It would also inspire innovation by focusing on relevant data for the
> purposes of which it is being collected. It would therefore aid in
> identifying problems and or gaps from processing the relevant data
> collected and consequently developing solutions to these problems.
>
> Kind Regards,
> William.
>
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 7:36 AM kanini mutemi via kictanet <
>
>> Thank you @Francis. What impact will minimisation have on innovation?
>>
>> @Grace I like that you refer back to the draft policy as the underlying
>> statement of intent. Indeed throughout this process we must consider both
>> the draft policy and the draft bill.
>>
>> This thread will remain open even as we move to the Day 2 discussion.
>>

>> On 22 Aug 2018, at 21:50, Francis Monyango <monyango93 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think we need a very serious data minimisation culture.  Entities that
>> collect data in their course of doing business need to collect what is
>> needed. I should not be compelled to name my family tree plus a letter from
>> my local chief just to gain admission into a building. (hyperbole alert)
>>
>> On 22 Aug 2018 09:58, "kanini mutemi via kictanet" <
>>
>>> *Day 1- Principles of Data Protection *
>>>
>>> Dear Listers,
>>>
>>> As GG had indicated on Monday, we will hold online moderated discussions
>>> on the policy and regulatory framework on privacy and data protection. I
>>> will kick us off with a discussion on the proposed principles of data
>>> protection (Part 5 of the draft policy and Part IV of the draft bill).
>>>
>>> There are seven proposed principles–
>>>

>>> *(a) Fairness, lawfulness and transparency(b) Purpose limitation(c) Data
>>> minimisation (d) Storage limitation (e) Accuracy(f) Confidentiality and
>>> Integrity (g) Accountability*
>>> To begin with, I welcome comments on
>>>
>>> *-what is your first impression of the principles?*
>>>
>>> *-why do we need to set out principles?*
>>>
>>> *-are the principles clearly defined in the draft policy and bill?*
>>>
>>> Tujadiliane!
>>> --
>>> *Mercy Mutemi​.*

Barrack O. Otieno