[kictanet] Day 2- Policy and Regulatory Framework on Privacy and Data Protection

Michael Pedersen michael at pluspeople.dk
Thu Aug 23 18:12:17 EAT 2018

Listers,

When talking about the rights of data subjects can we then discuss the
list of exemptions.

Lets take the example of processing personal data for research (section
53) - why is it that a data subject should not have the right to be
removed (forgotten) from this research data-set.

Assume for a minute that this research person/institution has a very
relaxed level of data security/handling and the dataset including all
the raw non-anonymized data of each data-subject is lost (maybe
repeatedly). It seems a bit strange that you should not have any rights
as a data-subject in cases where you loose confidence in a
data-processor - just because they are exempt.

All the exemptions may also be misused as loopholes for non-compliance -
"oh all that data we have over here - we keep that for research purposes".

Kind regards
Michael Pedersen