[kictanet] Concern

Tony White tony.mzungu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 08:31:35 EAT 2018

Privacy is becoming an increasingly complex area for website owners.
CalOPPA, and the upcoming European GDPR are real!

They appiy to any business that does one or both of the following:

    Offers products or services to citizens of the EU (or residents of
California)
    Collects personal information from citizens of the EU (or
residents of California)

Note: it doesn’t matter where your business is located.

This means that a Kenya-based business that simply collects email
addresses from EU citizens (or residents of California) will be
required to comply with the GDPR and CalOPPA.

So privacy policies must now include reference to these, unless your
website is geofenced to exclude these areas (and the privacy policy
would also then have to state that EU citizens and California
residents are not allowed to use the site).

IANAL, so I don't know what the implication of non-compliance for a
Kenya business would be.

Cheers,
Tony

--