[kictanet] Could fake news have saved Kenya from an Internet shutdown?

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Wed Sep 27 06:14:34 EAT 2017

Listers

Interesting read.

The Kenya General Elections on 8 August 2017 were not without surprises. In a historic determination, the Supreme Court invalidated the presidential election and ordered a repeat. Unlike many African countries that held elections in the recent past, Kenya did not shut down the Internet during the period. That the Internet remained open may be attributed to many factors. On the one hand, there was concerted advocacy by digital rights groups against a shutdown. On the other, there could have been disruptions that went unreported. But could the Internet have remained open because the government was also using the Internet to its own ends? Will it remain open during the repeat presidential election in October?

Read on:-

https://medium.com/@gracelouisebomu/could-fake-news-have-saved-kenya-from-an-internet-shutdown-e9f6820f2fe6

Ali Hussein
Principal
Hussein & Associates
+254 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."  ~ Aristotle

Sent from my iPad