[kictanet] Data Protection & Residency

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 15:01:29 EAT 2017

Barrack,

The Cyber Crimes Bill/Act has moved Kenya forward, but more specifications
(if not Acts) may be required to effect more *data protection* + *data
residency* (processing) in Kenya (under certain conditions). It may also
allow back up of data outside Kenya under certain (performance based)
conditions or treaties.

Interesting links below indicating how Data Protection Acts are used to
protect citizens/nations.

https://autoriteitpersoonsgegevens.nl/en/news/dutch-dpa-microsoft-breaches-data-protection-law-windows-10

https://ico.org.uk/about-the-ico/news-and-events/news-and-blogs/2017/07/royal-free-google-deepmind-trial-failed-to-comply-with-data-protection-law/

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a new law that will
replace the Data Protection Act 1998 and will apply in the UK from 25 May
2018. The government has confirmed that the UK’s decision to leave the EU
will not affect the commencement of the GDPR.

https://rcpmag.com/articles/2017/10/13/windows-10-vs-dutch-privacy-laws.aspx