[kictanet] Fwd: [Internet Policy] Security architectures will balkanise the Internet if nothing else

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Oct 13 07:26:03 EAT 2017

Barrack

Thanks for sharing. My observation is that this state of affairs and the
Balkanization of the Internet is unfortunately well on its way to becoming
a reality. It's just not simply an issue of 'National Security' because
unfortunately in 2017 'National Security' is simply an euphemism of keeping
in power indefinitely dictators and leaders masquerading as Champions of
Democracy .

The promises of the Freedoms and Borderless interactions that the Internet
brought forth are being slowly but surely being rolled back. It will be the
onus of Non-State Players to keep Governments the world over in check while
at the same time being cognizant of the real dangers of International
Terrorism that is also unfortunately being unleashed by using the same
channels we hold dear.

We must be smart. How do we leverage the power of the Facebooks, Googles
and Amazons (In general #BigTech whose core business models will die today
if this balkanization continues) to partner with them for the greater
common good? This I suspect will be the questions well meaning citizens of
the world will be grappling with for years to come.

How this will pan out is anybody's guess.

*Ali Hussein*

*Principal*

*Hussein & Associates*

Tel: +254 713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

<http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>

13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,

Chiromo Road, Westlands,

Nairobi, Kenya.

Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
organizations that I work with.

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 4:33 AM, Barrack Otieno via kictanet <