[kictanet] Kenya Has Faster Internet Than Australia? “Complete Rubbish” Says Australia Prime Minister

Ngigi Waithaka ngigi at at.co.ke
Mon Oct 9 15:59:57 EAT 2017

Ali,

100 KMs from Nairobi, upcountry, in a relatively built up area, the speeds
are horrendous....

Was benchmarking this (www.kionjo.com) over the weekend and on both
Safaricom & Airtel the load times for home page was 1-2 mins which is about
5KB/s considering an initial download is abt 300KBs

Those Akamai figures I am not sure where they got them from but its
definately not anything close across the country...

Rgds

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 3:37 PM, Ali Hussein via kictanet <

> True that Barrack.
>
> The point though was not penetration rate but speed. This is something
> (penetration rate) that needs addressing soonest.
>
> *Ali Hussein*
>
> *Principal*
>
> *Hussein & Associates*
>

> Tel: +254 713 601113
>
> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>
> Skype: abu-jomo

> <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>
>

> 13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,
>
> Chiromo Road, Westlands,
>
> Nairobi, Kenya.
>
> Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
> mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
> organizations that I work with.
>
> On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ali,
>>
>> This is not surprising , be that as it may, i hope we can get such
>> glorification of our connectivity from our Counties since the quality of
>> connectivity in most places beyond Nairobi is wanting.
>>
>> Best Regards
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Ali Hussein via kictanet <
>>
>>> Listers
>>>
>>> Interesting arguments going on around this subject. Apparently the
>>> Australian Prime is miffed by the suggestion that we can have faster
>>> Internet connections than Australia.. Surely that's not possible!!!??? :-)
>>>
>>> When *Bloomberg*
>>> <https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-03/digital-doom-threatens-australia-where-internet-speeds-lag-kenya> highlighted
>>> that Kenya’s internet was ranked faster than Australia’s in the latest
>>> Akamai’s State of Internet report, the Australian Prime Minister did not
>>> take it lightly. To understand the backstory, Australia invested $38
>>> Billion in a National Broadband Network (NBN) infrastructure that was meant
>>> to “spearhead a digital revolution.” The situation on the ground is that
>>> the project has been mismanaged by the government leading to costs overrun
>>> and construction delays.
>>>
>>> Read on:-
>>>
>>> Surely Kenya can't have faster connectivity than Australia!!
>>> <http://www.techweez.com/2017/10/09/australia-v-kenya-broadband-speeds/>
>>>

>>> *Ali Hussein*
>>>
>>> *Principal*
>>>
>>> *Hussein & Associates*
>>>

>>> Tel: +254 713 601113
>>>
>>> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>>>
>>> Skype: abu-jomo
>>>
>>> LinkedIn: http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
>>> <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>
>>>

>>> 13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,
>>>
>>> Chiromo Road, Westlands,
>>>
>>> Nairobi, Kenya.
>>>
>>> Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
>>> mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
>>> organizations that I work with.

>>> ailman/options/kictanet/otieno.barrack%40gmail.com

>> --
>> Barrack O. Otieno
> [...]

*Regards,*

*Wait**haka Ngigi*
Chief Executive Officer | Alliance Technologies | MCK Nairobi Synod Building
T +254 20 525 0750 |Office Mobile: +254 716 201061 | M +254 737 811 000
www.at.co.ke