[kictanet] Blockchain Policy Brief, 2017

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Sat Oct 7 06:07:13 EAT 2017

Dear all

A few months ago KICTANet embarked on putting together a Policy Brief for
Blockchain Technology in Kenya. Please find attached the document that is a
result of your interactions and a validation meeting that took place which
involved various stakeholders from the private sector and government.

I would like to thank everyone who took part in this exercise. I would be
remiss if I didn't also single out the CS for ICT, Mr. Joe Mucheru who
mobilized his team to contribute vigorously to this exercise.

Thank you all. Feel free to make your comments and add on to it as we move
along. We consider this a live document and hence will be updating it every
quarter as required as developments in the Blockchain space continue to
evolve rapidly. For example since we met and published this document a
number of events have taken place. To mention just a few:-

1. Bitcoins passed the $4000 mark for the first time since Satoshi Nakamoto
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satoshi_Nakamoto> first penned the now
famous Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System
<https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf>.
2. ICOs <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial_coin_offering> have become
all the rage. The Initial Coin Offering  is an unregulated means of
crowdfunding via use of cryptocurrency.
3. The IMF Chief
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/imf-chief-tells-central-bankers-to-not-ignore-bitcoin/2017/09/29/e156f6dc-a515-11e7-b573-8ec86cdfe1ed_story.html?utm_term=.44c020de2d44>
declares that cryptocurrencies will overshadow mainstream banking in the
near future.
4. Japan and Russia move to legitimize cryptocurrencies
<https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/12/bitcoin-price-rises-japan-russia-regulation.html>
.

And the list goes on and on..

Feel free to critique, add, disagree and generally contribute to this
document.

Happy Reading!

*Ali Hussein*

*Principal*

*Hussein & Associates*

Tel: +254 713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

<http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>

13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,

Chiromo Road, Westlands,

Nairobi, Kenya.

Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
organizations that I work with.