[kictanet] Fintech and Privacy (Kenya & India situation)

Mose Karanja mosekaranja at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 15:57:32 EAT 2017

The contracts are made in such a manner that even users repay the loans and quit, their data will still be retained and be monitized:

A significant issue with the fintech companies in Kenya, is that they keep access to the data. They keep the data—and, in some cases analyse it, even if the user has stopped being a customer of theirs, and has deleted their app. Branch is explicit that it keeps the data even after a user uninstalls the app, and admits it is possibly doing further analysis on it, “we have that right.”147 Tala encourages people, even if they have been rejected for a loan, to keep the app; if they do delete it, Tala retains their data. This is so that, if the customer returns later, they can reinstall the app, go through some simple KYC checks, and be able to borrow again148. M-Kopa, on the other hand, continues to collect data from the device even after the loan has been repaid149.

 -Moses