[kictanet] Do social media threaten democracy? - Scandal, outrage and politics

esther kamande enkamande at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 11:09:32 EAT 2017

I agree Ali; the election period has raised a lot of questions especially
of the exercise of freedom of speech (especially on fake news and hate
speech) on social media to boost different political agendas. This also
brought to light some of the issues deeply dividing our society which can
be a positive thing should we choose to learn and positively engage on the
same as opposed to burying our heads on the sand hoping the issues will
disappear.

In an ideal society we would use such platforms only for good but that is
not always the case.  I do not blame the social media companies and further
do not expect them to provide the solution as they are really not the
problem, we are. At some point and for sustainability purposes, we will
have to look into filing the policy gaps resulting from new technology, as
Barrack suggested; for purposes of not only safeguarding them from would be
abusers but to secure them as opposed to hoping there will be less users in
the future or people will be less interested/will not believe what is
online. At the end of the day, we are what we feed ourselves on whether we
believe it or not.

Kind regards,

Esther Kamande

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 7:33 AM, Barrack Otieno via kictanet <