[kictanet] Security Boost from China - Is it a hit or a miss?

Eshuchi Richard eshuchi.richard at gmail.com
Mon May 15 14:01:14 EAT 2017

Good afternoon,

The alarmist posts on this forum on every engagement/activity by the
National Government is quite unsettling, bearing the notion that we are
'more' informed or have better access to information to make decisive
conclusions.

It is important to understand that Huawei is providing telecommunication
equipment in the form of new hardware and of course, in-built technology to
run it. In broader terms, an integrated CCTV surveillance system that
includes video cameras, digital radios connected to a central command
conferencing system to enhance security and improve the National Police
Service's operational capacity.

This essentially means that the equipment is for receiving and recording
criminal activity and not a data holding cell for public records. Access to
videos and images captured is real time at the command centers which are
now to be expanded to other major cities within the country.

There is no system that is being plugged into, this is not an upgrade of
existing infrastructure, the country is purely creating a new, state of the
art digital based surveillance system. Cases in court will no longer be
inadmissible based on 'witness account of events' and criminals will no
longer be confident hiding under such misgivings of the law.

Huawei has been sought as the equipment provider based on the quality and
latency of image/video that their hardware provides, which is also cost
effective. Cyber crime remains a potential threat to everything connected
to a network. Specifically to CCTVs, DDoS attacks are the most prevalent
form of cyber crime and this could happen to any surveillance
infrastructure irrespective of where it is sourced from, should
configuration not be secure.

With regard to the US, issue is not only contested from the point of view
that the country manufactures its own surveillance equipment but it is a
foreign policy matter in itself owing to world power dynamics. As for
Kenya, the partnership with Huawei squarely lies on the interest of
securing Kenyans and their property in a more advanced environment.

Regards,
*Eshuchi Richard*

On 15 May 2017 at 08:33, BRIGHT GAMELI via kictanet <

Regards,
*Eshuchi Richard*