[kictanet] Should a Technology be regulated? - The current state of blockchain regulation

Erick Mwangi erick.mwangi at gmail.com
Tue May 9 13:46:45 EAT 2017

Blockchain to be or not to be....

My take is we find ourselves in the precarious position in .KE today that
they owners of Capital are the same as the makers of Policy. until this
anomaly is addressed then this will forever be an issue not just in
Blockchain but in the era of new tech.

Secondly, i think there is an issue of understanding of what Blockchain
really is and its use case examples. Unfortunately, there are many
"experts" who i have come across who have very little grasp of what
blockchain really is.

Solution: The future of blockchain lies in the banking industry in Kenya -
the consequences of blockchain for consumers will perhaps be felt most
profoundly in Infrastructure ( Resources and Systems in place to facilitate
and regulate trade, or the flow of cash - including considerations around
user identity and privacy) where developments relating to identity, privacy
and security are taking shape. Our banks need to initiate conversations on
blockchain based solutions, in-turn lobbying the government in
adoption/acceptance of the same, unless we revert to my second point of
"understanding" and this becomes a different conversation.

On the issue of criminality, to me this is a non-issue because do we shut
down the internet because a teenager in Kenya committed suicide playing the
"popular" Blue whale game? Or Shut down Mpesa because it makes it easier
for the youth to gamble from their beds? The answer is no - since
time-imemorial this go hand in hand, virtue and vice in equal measure i
must say..

Currently Barclays and Wave have completed the worlds first blockchain
trade finance transaction. Moving to paperless trade would be hugely
beneficial in supporting the supply chain, through reduced costs, error
free documentation, and faster transfer of original documents to customers.

http://www.newsroom.barclays.co.uk/r/3396/barclays_and_wave_complete_world_first_blockchain_trade

This is an example of what the market will be able to leverage on and adopt
user case examples.

Regards,

E Njoroge Mwangi
Technology| FINTECH | Big Data

Cell +44 7539372742
Skype: Erick.mwangi

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Brian Muhia via kictanet <