[kictanet] Fwd: [Internet Policy] Join us at World Press Freedom Day this week!

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Wed May 3 23:40:10 EAT 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nicolas Seidler <seidler at isoc.org>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 07:41:28 +0000
Subject: [Internet Policy] Join us at World Press Freedom Day this week!
To: "internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org" <internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org>

Hi everyone,

A free and independent press, including online, is a pillar of vibrant
societies. Yet, its future is in jeopardy.

Press freedom is declining
<https://rsf.org/en/2017-world-press-freedom-index-tipping-point>
across the world, as surveillance of journalists and violations of the
confidentiality of sources become more common. Reporters are often
victims of government orders to shut down media websites or blogs in
the name of national security or public order.

Journalists and their sources are taking enormous risks right now in
making sure crucial stories get told. In today's environment, where
trust in online information is at an all-time low, we need free, safe
and independent journalists more than ever.

This is why, as the Internet Society participates in World Press
Freedom Day <http://en.unesco.org/wpfd> (WPFD) in Indonesia on 3-4
May, we are calling on governments to support encryption
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/5909451ce4b084f59b49fe04#> rather
than seeing it as a threat, and on all journalists to use encryption
to protect their research, their communications, their sources, and
themselves.

ISOC’s Senior Director for Global Internet Policy, Constance
Bommelaer, has been invited to draft with other stakeholders the
Jakarta Declaration
<http://en.unesco.org/world-press-freedom-day-2017/jakarta-declaration>.
Based on our input, the Declaration should encourage the deployment of
encryption to ensure trust online and to support the safety of
journalists and the confidentiality of their sources. This is an
important and positive signal to the international community.

We believe everyone has a role to play to make the Internet more
trusted and secure. Here is what you can do:

* Read and share Constance Bommelaer’s piece on the importance of
encryption for journalists
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/5909451ce4b084f59b49fe04#>
* Secure your data: EFF
<https://ssd.eff.org/en/playlist/journalist-move>, CPJ
<https://www.cpj.org/reports/2012/04/journalist-security-guide.php>
and RSF <https://rsf.org/en/online-survival-kit> offer security tips
for journalists and non-journalists to secure their communications
* Watch our Twitter feed <https://twitter.com/internetsociety> and
retweet any and all calls to action for the week. You can use the
hashtags #pressfreedom and #WPFD2017
* Participate in World Press Freedom Day celebrations around the world
<https://en.unesco.org/datasets/event/27484/map>
* Tune in <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX00NGuAJHNV1MVCVPEeKRQ>
on May 4, 2:15 pm (UTC+7) to see Constance on UNESCO’s panel on a
Universal Internet
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX00NGuAJHNV1MVCVPEeKRQ>

As we celebrate World Press Freedom Day, we must remember that
rebuilding trust in the news is a complex and long process and we each
have a role to play. Encryption can be one of the steps towards a
brighter future for a free and independent press.

Nicolas Seidler
Senior Policy Advisor
Internet Society
seidler at isoc.org