[kictanet] Safaricom dominance report proposes an impractical solution

Admin CampusCiti info at campusciti.com
Thu Mar 16 10:53:57 EAT 2017

Barrack

You've raised a very pertinent question. This new Interbank thingi..

I have said many times before that the Regulators of the world need to update their tools to fit the new reality.

Let me explain. Until last month I used to take the tortuous route (it takes 12 steps minimum to make a payment via mpesa) of paying my bills via mpesa. Then came Mula.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cellulant.consumerapp&hl=en

So now I use Mula to pay all my bills. And I suspect that soon I will use it for all other payment related activities. Why did I do this?

1. Because I own Mula or just like them? NO. It's because they have dealt with a serious issue that plagues payment platforms in this country - User Experience. Seamless. It even reminds me when my bills are due..And the integration with billers? (KPLC, Zulu etc) Sweet..

2. Did I need CA, CAK, MOICT and other acronyms to tell me about Mula? Or to Vuka? Again NO. Did Mpesa get forced to integrate with Mula? Nope.

You get my drift.. Dominance is for the lazy..Safaricom will either be forced by market forces to improve (as they continue to do) or they will go the way of YU and the Dodo..It's that simple..

Ali Hussein
Hussein & Associates
+254 0713 601113 / 0770906375

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo
Blog: www.alyhussein.com

"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi

Sent from my iPad