[kictanet] Fwd: [Internet Policy] New report by UN Rapporteur on Privacy

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 16:06:13 EAT 2017

Listers,

This might be of interest to some.

Best Regards

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nicolas Seidler <seidler at isoc.org>
Date: Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 7:25 PM
Subject: [Internet Policy] New report by UN Rapporteur on Privacy
To: "internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org" <internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org>

Hi everyone,

I would like to draw your attention to the advance release of the new
report from the UN Special Rapporteur on the right to privacy.

As part ISOC’s work on privacy, you’ll remember that we organized a
community dialogue last year with the Special Rapporteur to gather
input from our membership and shape his upcoming work (post-event
interview available here).

This new report, which proposes first approaches to a “more
privacy-friendly oversight of government surveillance”, is to be be
formally presented on 7 March at the UN Human Rights Council. We
expect the report to have an important impact in the discussions
related to international security and privacy.

On the premise that the status of the right to privacy in the
surveillance space has not improved since his last report, the Special
Rapporteur makes the following recommendations:

Resist politics of fear that lead to disproportionate
privacy-intrusive laws in the name of security
Need for best practices in the oversight of intelligence operations
Privacy needs to be respected universally, as a right of everybody,
everywhere (irrespective of citizenship)
Need to explore new international mechanisms for proper regulation of
cross-border data requests for criminal investigation and for
surveillance

The UN Rapporteur has also shared his plan for thematic reports until
2021, where he invites all stakeholders to reach out to him if they
wish to engage in any of his initiatives.

The Internet Society believes privacy is an important right and an
essential enabler of trust. As a key priority in our 2017 plans, we
will have several projects this year in the policy and technical
spheres aimed at better use of personal data and better privacy
protections. Stay tuned.

Best regards,
Nicolas