[kictanet] PRE KIGF ONLINE DISCUSSIONS DAY 3 - ONLINE BULLYING: HOW SAFE IS THE SPACE?

Ronald Ojino ronojinx at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 11:02:30 EAT 2017

Hi all,
Thanks for starting off  this important discussion.
Cyber-bullying is now available on a range of platforms including new interactive apps, games consoles,social networks etc where most young people spend their time.
I believe that we are not taking advantage of the various channels that we can use to address this menace. Parents , older students/siblings,and clubs as mentioned earlier
can be  harnessed to tackle cyber-bullying but unfortunately, this hasn’t been the case.
Lets face it, cyber-bullying has not be taken seriously by the Kenyan society until recently when the Bluewhale game that led to a number of suicides came into focus.

Do teens who are bullies recognise the ramifications of their actions? cyberbullying becomes viral once it starts, can this be nipped in the bud?
Our law enforcement officers, parents, teachers and children should be kept updated on the evolving state of online behaviour to enable them effectively address this issue.
CAK produced some nice educational materials on how to handle this issue…how is the enforcement??
Parents and teachers should have access to tools that can be used to monitor their children’s online activities.
Parents should go back to the ABCs of raising their children based on the principles of good morals, this would help a great deal. e.g have open discussions with the teens and children.
Regards