[kictanet] PRE KIGF ONLINE DISCUSSION DAY 1 - INTERNET SHUTDOWNS

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Jun 27 11:50:44 EAT 2017

What are the Key actors saying?

http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2017/01/13/kenya-will-not-shut-down-internet-on-election-day_c1486828
"We are using all possible means not to reach a level where the
country can be in tension and force us maybe to take a drastic step,"
director general Francis Wangusi told the media at CA headquarters.
"Sometimes, when tension is so high, the government may decide to take
an action for purposes of protecting the people of Kenya from any
adverse outcomes caused by those who want to cause trouble."

ICT minister Joe Mucheru was quick to say, "I can tell you
categorically that is not government policy. It is not our expectation
the country will be in the position to shut down internet services. We
are a digital country and that is not our intention. It is not even a
remote fall back position."

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/magazines/Kenya-warned--risk-shutting-down-Internet-/1248928-3896652-g9hh3bz/index.html
"We hope we will not get there. Unless it gets out of hand, we do not
see an Internet shutdown happening," Mr Ben Gituku, CA Chairman.
Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
twitter.com/lordmwesh