[kictanet] Kenya has faster mobile internet speeds than the United States — Quartz

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Wed Jun 14 16:31:56 EAT 2017

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 4:11 PM, Harry Delano <harry26001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe PDNO's are  here with us on the list, and I suppose time is nigh
> to hold a healthy discourse going forward that's geared at among other
> things expeditiously and judiciously bringing down the last mile loop/p2p
> costs.
>
> It's been a misnomer that bringing down internet costs focuses only on
> externally hosted content, and this needs to be revisited now if we truly
> want to localize content that's truly local and which in essence should be
> hosted locally in the first place.

The premise upon which investment in last-mile infrastructure is made
especially in countries like the USA, is so that, they services providers
can attract local markets within the USA before they can even think of the
global numbers. The same kind of thinking should prevail at home.

> On the plus side for the data network providers, they should see an uptick
> in consumer data services uptake as a natural consequence for taking such a
> step in this brilliantly right direction, while at the same time putting to
> productive use such an enormous idle capacity that's presently going to
> waste.

+1

This should also spur local content development/consumption,increased
> innovation thereby creating the much needed job opportunities especially in
> the startups sector.

+1

> Hope someone out there is listening..!
>
> Certainly.