[kictanet] Technology Giants Under Fire For Facilitating Terrorism

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Sun Jun 11 03:50:42 EAT 2017

This may also be of interest….

For those who want to say that the Internet is bad place, and contributing to the rise of extremist and the radicalization of people, and claiming that it is the driving force behind the terrorism we see today….  I was curious after reading Theresa May’s comments, and so I went and did some research and downloaded the global terrorism database, and started crunching numbers for Europe and the United States going back to 1970.  (Sadly, I don’t have data for 2016 and 2017, but I think the trend is still pretty clear)

Attached is a graph of the number of deaths by terrorism in North America and Europe from 1970 to 2015 – ou will notice that there is a steady downward trend – and in the days *BEFORE* the Internet existed – the rates of terrorism were actually *FAR* higher than what they are today.  As someone commented on my facebook feed – maybe it’s because the Internet helps us understand each other’s cultures rather than just considering them the enemy.  Who knows – but the fact is – the arguments that are coming out about the Internet driving terrorism simply don’t add up with the numbers that are available.

I’ve got some more data that I’ll crunch in the next day or two and will share that as well – specifically, I want to look and see if there is a rise in violent terrorist attacks in the global terrorism database that are preceded by Internet Shutdowns – I know that I read that there is evidence that Nigeria turning off the Internet to combat Boko Haram contributed to more radicalization – but will crunch the data and see what it says and share it with you when I get done.

Thanks

Andrew