[kictanet] CA's cyber threat reports

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 11:25:44 EAT 2017

Hi Andrew,

I think they (CERT-KE or whatever) sent you that report in your capacity as
a contact person for your network. So it's possible other network
'managers' (contact persons) got the same. I don't know if they are active
here.

That they can scan networks and report on open ports, and raise something
as stupid as RDP ports being open is a strange one! Maybe there is some law
we're not privy to that allows them to do port scanning on ALL networks??

I would have thought that their is to highlight vulnerabilities and how
such can be mitigated, instead of going into network scanning. It
demonstrates lack of knowledge of their mandate and idleness - they
probably don't have much work in their hands and so want to justify their
existence.

On 5 June 2017 at 10:08, Andrew Alston via kictanet <

> Hi All,
>

> This morning I got an interesting email from cirt at ca.go.ke as regards
> open RDP ports on the network.
>

> Now, I’ve got a few questions about this -
>

> a.)     Has anyone else had similar reports
>
> b.)    Ports can be open for many reasons – and they sit on private
> companies machines and companies have the right to firewall or not firewall
> dependent on a multitude of reasons – why are these being put out as an
> incident report
>
> c.)     Under what premise does anyone – be they cert or otherwise – have
> the authority to run scans against private networks and systems – I was
> under the impression that port scanning private systems was not allowed?
>

> I’m kinda concerned here when a report shows up that clearly indicates
> that targeted scans have been made – particularly since some of the IP
> addresses in that report are not even inside Kenya and sit on IP addresses
> belonging to clients who have in no way authorized security scans against
> themselves.
>

> Anyone got any thoughts or comments?
>

> Andrew

> mailman/options/kictanet/odhiambo%40gmail.com

Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Nairobi,KE
+254 7 3200 0004/+254 7 2274 3223