[kictanet] Gov't threatens to shut media houses announcing election results - Citizentv.co.ke

William Oloo williamjanak at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 31 12:52:57 EAT 2017

Dorcas, you cannot agree with the CS on shutting down the media. The media
outlets will pick results as announced by IEBC officials, not their own
figures. There is no law prohibiting the media from updating the public on
the results or announcing who the winners from the results as they stream
in. What is the preserve of the IEBC Chairman is the DECLARATION of the
presidential winner and conferring formal/official victory on him/her.  We
must stop this unnnecessary fear, especially that it is the media
announcement which can spark off chaos. Chaos will be sparked off by the
failure of the media to inform the public or announce the results and by
failure by the IEBC to announce credible results and in a timely manner.

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Dorcas Muthoni via kictanet <

> The media must act very responsibly. On this one, I will support the CS.
> Everyone may tally but a media house cannot purport to have the official
> record.  Only IEBC has the mandate.
>
> On Jul 29, 2017 4:13 PM, "Barrack Otieno via kictanet" <
>
>> This doesn't sound right. Two steps forwad one back.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Timothy- Coach- Oriedo via kictanet <
>>
>>> https://citizentv.co.ke/news/govt-threatens-to-shut-media-ho
>>> uses-announcing-election-results-171742/?utm_source=onesigna