[kictanet] How Can We Expand the Use of the Multistakeholder Model?

Alice Munyua alice at dotafrica.org
Wed Jul 19 17:58:59 EAT 2017

Dear all,

Thank you for meeting with us to discuss the feasibility of expanding
and enhancing the use of the multistakeholder model.  We would like to
share with you a blog post about our work:

Link:
https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/public-policy/2017/07/how-can-we-expand-use-multistakeholder-model

  How Can We Expand the Use of the Multistakeholder Model?

Date published19 July 2017
Public Policy <https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/public-policy>
<https://www.internetsociety.org/who-we-are/people/ms-sally-shipman-wentworth>

    SALLY SHIPMAN WENTWORTH
    <https://www.internetsociety.org/who-we-are/people/ms-sally-shipman-wentworth>

Vice President of Global Policy Development

RSS <https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/author/586/feed>Twitter
<https://twitter.com/SAWentworth>

For over a decade, the Internet Society, along with many in the Internet
community, have been strong advocates of using multistakeholder
approaches to make decisions in a globally distributed network
environment. We are encouraged that, within the Internet ecosystem, the
multistakeholder model has grown in understanding and acceptance over
the past several years. But we also know that the open, global Internet
faces enormous challenges and that it is crucial that we not take this
progress for granted.

While the IANA transition was, indeed, a pivotal moment
that demonstrated how this model could work in practice, the Internet
Society believes that we cannot simply “declare success” and turn our
attention elsewhere. This is a crucial moment for the Internet’s growth
and development and we believe that we must continue to work hard
to expand and enhance uses of the multistakeholder
model to address these inherently cross border challenges.

As an organization committed to taking on the most challenging issues
facing the Internet and doing so on a global level, the Internet
Society, along with our network of chapters, is deeply committed to
growing the multistakeholder model. We would like to see
multistakeholder approaches adopted across the globe and used to address
a broad range of Internet-related issues.

Thus, we have asked Larry Strickling and Grace Abuhamad, who many of us
know well, to study the feasibility of building a resource to expand and
enhance the use of the model and report back to us by September 2017. In
the last few weeks, they have already started to meet with experts and
stakeholders from around the world to get their views as to how best to
expand the use of the model.

Specifically, we think any such resource could have three components or
work streams:

  * Demonstrating the efficacy of the model: provide a neutral place and
    expertise where parties could come to work through Internet related
    issues in a multistakeholder fashion.
  * Capacity building: provide training to equip stakeholders with the
    skills to participate actively and effectively
    in multistakeholder processes.
  * Research: sponsor academic research and analysis on multistakeholder
    models and processes.

>From the start, we have made it clear that any Internet governance
activity of this sort must have a global focus and community support. We
have also specified that this should not duplicate the important efforts
of existing multistakeholder processes such as ICANN, IETF, and the IGF.
We are also mindful that a number of multistakeholder initiatives and
training programs already exist in the ecosystem and are doing important
work. The goal of this effort would not be to duplicate, replace or
centralize those efforts but rather to work collaboratively to advance
our mutual goals.

We want to emphasize that we are at a very early stage and that the
Internet Society has not made any decision to proceed. But we hope
the feasibility study will provide a concrete set of ideas
and recommendations for what might be an effective way forward for the
community to discuss later this year.

In the meantime, if you have initial thoughts or reactions to how we
might approach this issue, we encourage you to submit your ideas to
multistakeholder at isoc.org <mailto:multistakeholder at isoc.org>. We
will make sure that they are taken into account during the feasibility
study. We also commit to our community that we will share the final
report of the feasibility study before taking any action on it later
this year.

  * /For more background, please read Internet Governance - Why the
    Multistakeholder Approach Works
    <https://www.internetsociety.org/doc/internet-governance-why-multistakeholder-approach-works>./