[kictanet] Airtel Plans Africa Exit

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Mon Jan 30 11:35:50 EAT 2017

Ngigi

Good observations. I'd repeat what I said a few months ago:-

Even though we celebrate Mpesa's Payment 'Dominance' let me make the following  observations:-

1. Over 90% of transactions are still in cash. Even in the US and Europe cash still makes a significant part of transactions. So the issue of Mpesa's Dominance doesn't even come into play. We overemphasize this Dominance maybe to make ourselves feel good as Kenyans? :-) #JustSaying

2.  There is NO dominant global player in payments. Not Visa, Not Mastercard, Not even PayPal. The space is simply too fragmented.

3. If I were Safaricom/Vodaphone I'd already have spurn off Mpesa as a standalone company and exploited its merits to the full. The first one would be to make it totally Network Agnostic and super UX so that we simply don't think of anything else. The second would be to convince Vodaphone that the home of Mpesa is not London but Nairobi so bring it back to Ground Zero of innovation in Africa and seriously exploit it as a Platform/Bank and invite all and sundry to plug into the platform and listen to the increased sounds of CHING CHING!! :-)

4. On the matter of Microsoft and all other supposed Monopolies I have this to say:-

This is 2017. Not even Governments are strong enough to defy markets.

Enough said.

Ali Hussein
Principal
Hussein & Associates
+254 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."  ~ Aristotle

Sent from my iPad