[kictanet] ICT Authority, not Treasury, should oversee IFMIS

Bitange Ndemo bndemo at bitangendemo.me
Thu Jan 19 09:34:31 EAT 2017

I try to keep off GOK matters but let me comment on IFMIS once and for
all.  IFMIS is a system.  It entails software, hardware, peopleware and
procedures.  The absence of regular system audits means that the software
is interfered with.  Anyone will tell you that what is currently used as
IFMIS is not the original version.  There is need to know who makes
software changes and if the changes are noted.  Just like accounting you
cannot have the auditor doing the accounting work.  There must be checks
and balances.  On the Hardware side, it is people who switch the servers
off whenever you hear that the system is down.  The problem is people and
that what we need to deal with.  My considered opinion is to move the
servers elsewhere, remove the peopleware and conduct regular system
audits.  Perhaps Software as a service may be the best way out.  Further,
there must be consequences for misuse of passwords.

This may sound simple but there are cartels who "own" and run the entire
system.  So no matter what you do, you are at the mercy of their
imaginations.  Just ask why isn't the managed by ICT Ministry.

Ndemo

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Mutemi wa Kiama via kictanet <