[kictanet] Feedback on the 2016 ICT POLICY - REMINDER No. 7

esther kamande enkamande at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 12:47:06 EAT 2017

Regarding the steps to be taken for failure to avail public documents;
Section 7 to 24 of the Access to information Act. 31 of 2016 lays out the
procedure for requesting for access to information to be made in
writing and presented to the chief executive officer of the public entity
or the designated information officer where this function has been
delegated (section 7 and 8).

The officer is required to provide feedback on the same within *twenty one
days of receipt of the application* either approving the request or
declining and providing reasons for this.

This decision can be appealed before the Commission on Administrative
Justice which has powers to summon the person(s) holding the information
for inquiry and make orders for immediate access. If the commission fails
to give the orders sought and the applicant is not satisfied with the
reasons for the same, the applicant can seek legal redress for violation of
this right at the High Court and the policy document can also be challenged
on the basis.

Section 7 provides that a formal application in writing is made to the
Ministry of ICT and addressed to the *Chief Executive Officer *as
interpreted in* section 2 *of the Act as the *Principal Secretary in the
case of a Government Ministry or Department* who in this case is the *Cabinet
Secretary Mr Joseph Mucheru* who will advise if he has delegated his
function as the Information Access Officer under the Act to any officer of
the Ministry of ICT.

The reminder addressed to the PS. Mr Victor Kyalo is only sufficient if the
function of the Information Access Officer under the Act has been delegated
to him by the CS.

Regards,

Esther Kamande

Advocate | Policy Analyst