[kictanet] ICT Authority, not Treasury, should oversee IFMIS

Grace B nmutungu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 07:11:53 EAT 2017

Interesting discussion. There are those who would look at IFMIS as a public
finance management issue as opposed to an ICT one but this is not really
count when giving management mandate to either Treasury or ICTA as long as
the objectives of PFM (Article 201 of Katiba) are met.
One of the issues voiced about IFMIS since devolution/new Constitution has
been the problems experienced by county governments and other independent
organs eg commissions in accessing funds in a timely manner. (We assume
that Executive has not had too many problems assessing funds and may have
indeed been facilitating leakage)
One issue with transferring the responsibility of maintaining IFMIS to
ICTA, it seems would be that there could be few differences between ICTA
and Treasury. First, both are Executive institutions that may support
devolved and independent structures in line with the soft policy direction
of the government of the day. Second, the problem with IFMIS, it appears is
a lack of commitment to simple values such as integrity and prudent
stewardship of public funds. What guarantee wold we have that ICTA would be
different from Treasury?

Grace L.N. Mutung'u
Skype: gracebomu
Twitter: @Bomu