[kictanet] Feedback on the 2016 ICT POLICY - REMINDER No. 7

esther kamande enkamande at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 23:41:01 EAT 2017

Thank you Ali for the 7th Reminder, I am equally concerned as no feedback
on the same has been forthcoming for almost 6 months since July 2016.

Article 35 of the constitution introduced a number of reforms emphasizing
on open-decision making process, citizen participation and the role of
transparency in building up an informed citizenry towards a democratic
nation. In practice, open decision-making is to a large extent realized
through the right of the general public to access documents and Access to
Information Act No. 31 of 2016, breathes life into this.

All documents held by the state with the exceptions as provided for in
section 6 of the Access to information Act. 31 of 2016 are public therefore
the amended Draft ICT Policy document must be provided to the public for
further scrutiny after the comments have been taken into
account. Furthermore, section 4 (3) is very clear on information held by a
public entity or a private body to be provided *expeditiously* at a
reasonable cost. This means that information should be provided with *“speed
and efficiency”* otherwise it undermines this right as well as democracy.
It has been 6 months and counting therefore this right is being undermined.

In this regard I add my voice to request for the amended Draft ICT Policy
to be provided *expeditiously* as provided by the law for further scrutiny.

Regards,

Esther Kamande

Advocate | Policy Analyst

Twitter: @enkamande

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Ali Hussein via kictanet <