[kictanet] ICT Authority, not Treasury, should oversee IFMIS

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Tue Jan 17 21:45:32 EAT 2017

I fundamentally disagree with this assertion.

First,y, the role of a CIO is to support the enterprise. I have never heard in my life of an ERP Director. This is just adding a superfluous layer of useless bureaucracy.

The owner of an ERP is the business with each department taking ownership of their components:-

1. Financials - CFO
2. CRM (Commercial/marketing/sales)
3. Procurement - Procurement which sometimes comes under Finance

Etc.

The CIO takes ownership to ensure that the company is well oiled to execute on its mandate. This in my humble opinion goes beyond ERPs and talks to aligning the Technology Strategy with the Business Strategy. For example in the banking sector where increasingly the more savvy banks are taking a 'Platform Thinking' approach. This allows partners to plug into their core technology through APIs to enable them extend capabilities and hence offerings to their customers.

The role of a CIO has fundamentally changed to speak to the need for using Technology as an accelerator to successful business models.

Secondly, I don't see how the ICT Authority would be better in managing the monster that is IFMIS. Let them first learn the basics of communicating effectively with the community before taking on this elephant in the room.

Ali Hussein
Principal
Hussein & Associates
+254 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."  ~ Aristotle

Sent from my iPad