[kictanet] Enforcing the Right to Info Law through Tech

Wambui Wambui wwamunyu2009 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 18:24:46 EAT 2017

Thanks Nanjira for the article. FOI could not have come at a more timely
time given that we're in campaign mode.
For a start, it would be great to get info on how incumbent leaders hopeful
of another chance have used public resources these past four years.

But despite the optimistic tone of the piece, I remain skeptical. Our
journalists have had other digital tools to monitor public officials and
their work, but don't have a great track record of using them consistently.
E.g.
Code for Africa's Biscuit Index <https://biscuitindex.codeforkenya.org/>,
which shows how the amount allocated for county budgets - Code for Africa
calls it 'tea and biscuits' - relates to the amount of money a
*mwananchi* spends
on basic necessities. I've seen a couple of stories based on it, but not
the sustained, in-depth analysis that the index actually allows.

Perhaps it is we citizens who will need to get curious and take up the
tool. Wouldn't it be nice to see our police stations opening the OB book,
and telling citizens which officers are manning which roadside checks?

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Nanjira Sambuli via kictanet <