[kictanet] Your phone landing in the wrong hands could get you six months in jail

Peter Wakaba peterwakaba at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 18:37:29 EAT 2017

Part of the problem here is that rather than sell new numbers, some telcos
recycle 'dead', inactive, 'expired' numbers and resell them to new users.

if your line is inactive on some networks after 3 months, the line is up
for sale.
I personally have multiple phone lines. one of them happens to have been
registered twice before to a man  in the beginning, then a woman and then
me. I walked into a branded dealers shop, bought the line, registered on
the spot and went home. three years later, still getting texts that my line
is unregistered and to go register. I have gone through that process twice
now in two different shops.

Data capture and retention for some of the operators is really wanting...
the fact that the kamiti lines operate on all networks with no real
challenge and continue to 'pester' Kenyans means that this is more of a PR
exercise.

secondly, some apps enable one operate independent of their number or
phone.... i.e... I can load my whatsapp on one line, but if the phone is
stolen , lost , misplaced and the sim card changed, the new user can retain
the previous identity on some apps( which is why an option for remote
wiping is recommended)

But then again, most regulators are always behind the curve.

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 4:28 PM, Victor Kapiyo via kictanet <