[kictanet] Your phone landing in the wrong hands could get you six months in jail

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 15:20:45 EAT 2017

On 6 January 2017 at 13:38, Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) via kictanet <

> Listers,
>
> " The Communications Authority of Kenya (CA) Friday issued the stern
> warning, saying every Kenyan is responsible for any use of their mobile
> number in making calls, sending and receiving text messages as well as any
> financial transactions.

==> The regulator says all Kenyans must only use registered SIM cards to
transact business as they may be culpable in the event that their number is
used in the commission of a crime."

That  statement also means that the Regulator is not able to block
unregistered numbers from being used.

The MNOs give the SIM cards to their distributors (there must be a name)
who further give them to other sub distributors until they reach 'machiani'
- at which point you can just buy a SIM card without any questions being
asked. The MNOs should be fined 100,000 for each unregistered SIM Card that
is used on their network. That money can also go to USF and accumulate
interest while we procrastinate on the decisions on where/when the fund can
be used.