[kictanet] Cyberwar for Sale

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Jan 6 07:47:26 EAT 2017

Listers

We are entering a new dangerous phase of threats to Internet Freedoms and privacy due in part to the rise in Terror and Governments increasing ineptitude to safeguard its citizens. We are often faced with options of either:-

1. Surrender your privacy and freedoms online OR
2. Risk terror attacks.

The big question we all ask today is this:-

Can Governments worldwide safeguard freedoms and privacy while at the same time fight terrorism effectively ?

Excerpts form this interesting New York Times article:-

By then it was clear that tools for digital burglary had spread well beyond the hands of regular police officers. Comey (FBI DIrector) had argued for weaker safes; Vincenzetti (CEO of Hacker Team) was selling longer crowbars. They could be used to chase Jimmy Page, arrest Chapo Guzman, fight crime, smear a political opponent or just keep tabs on someone, anyone. To be hidden is to be a terrorist (emphasis mine) — this was the heart of his pitch. Any digital redoubt that could resist being pried open was a public risk and a private opportunity

Read on:-

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/04/magazine/cyberwar-for-sale.html?_r=1

Ali Hussein
Principal
Hussein & Associates
+254 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo

"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi

Sent from my iPad