[kictanet] Consumer protection a means of cutting Safaricom’s dominance

kanini mutemi kaninimutemi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 12:54:48 EAT 2017

Not to be the forbearing wife in an abusive relationship (they run through
my bundles too fast😡
​)

Obtaining a dominant position isn't unlawful where the dominant position
has been achieved genuinely through hardwork, superiority of products and
services and an interplay of supply and demand. What is unlawful (See
Section 24 of the Competition Act) is abuse of the dominant position. Our
debate on whether or not Safaricom has a dominant position is futile. What
we should interrogate is whether 1. the dominant position (assuming indeed
the numbers affirm their dominance) was achieved unlawfully and 2. there
have been instances of abuse of such position such as product tying (as the
writer claims) and restrictive agreements. If the answer to this is yes
then by all means let's have a conversation on equitable remedy and please,
make those fines hefty. Again, we casually talk about unfair competition
but in which market? There is a need to define the markets that Safaricom
(and M-Pesa) operate in and see real figures on market share in these
markets.

It is very tempting to approach this topic emotionally and I think that's
the trap the trial judge in US v Microsoft fell in when he ordered that
Microsoft be split to two. Well in that case there were instances of abuse,
I digress. Legislative (see Midiwo's Bill) and regulatory efforts may sound
like a good idea now but what happens when our home grown companies finally
make it? Will we subject them to similar vilification? I get the angle on
consumer protection but is it really the consumer we are protecting or are
we just mad that one company made it while others still struggle? I'd like
us to graduate the discussion to whether a lot of what Safaricom does
amounts to abuse of dominant position. For example- the new product by
PharmAccess, M-Tiba. You're telling me that for me to get services from one
product (M-Tiba) I have to subscribe for another product (Safaricom). Am I
the only one for whom this raises red flags?

Tarehe Jumatano, Feb 22, 2017 saa 12:22 Twahir Hussein Kassim via kictanet <
kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> aliandika: