[kictanet] [isoc_ke] Fwd: [Internet Policy] FYI - Joint statement by 50 orgs on proposal to require social media passwords at US border

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Wed Feb 22 06:09:22 EAT 2017

Barrack

Thanks for sharing. The world is on free flow right now when it comes to privacy and the rule of law. If the 'Bastion' of Freedom and the leader of the 'Free World' can operate in such a draconian fashion what are we to do in Africa?

There are those of our leaders across the continent who will seize on this opportunity with glee and use the US as an example of what a country can and should do in the face of protecting the Motherland. To them we say this:-

The US, under Trump is probably the best example of what a system of Democracy, of checks and balances, of activists and those within the Trump Administration who don't agree with his policies can do to put a check on some of those excesses.

As Barrack Obama said in the waning days of his presidency:-

"Change only happens when ordinary people get involved, get engaged and come together to demand it. I am asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about change - but in yours"

Be the instrument that keeps our Governments on the straight and narrow.

Ali Hussein
Principal
Hussein & Associates
+254 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."  ~ Aristotle

Sent from my iPad