[kictanet] Govt to start phone tapping in war on counterfeit trade

Joseph Wayodi jwayodi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 15:12:05 EAT 2017

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Wambua, Christopher via kictanet
<kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:

> Ngigi
>
> Each telco has a system that detects counterfeit handsets, and produces a blacklist.  More often than not, it is not in the interest of the telco to switch off a counterfeit devices, as it has implication on revenue.  The DMS is a central EIR which shares information across networks  to ensure that counterfeit and stolen handsets denied service in one network are re- used in other networks.  Once commissioned, the DMS will build a database of all devices in service. Each dataset will be associated with three identities:
>
> (i)      The device (IMEI)
>
> (ii)     The operator offering the services (IMSI) and
>
> (iii)   The subscriber number (MSISDN).
>

> Please note that subscriber’s details including name, location etc will not be part of the DMS database. Also, the DMS system does not require and is not equipped with capabilities of monitoring subscriber transactions such as calls, SMSs and mobile pay services.When vendors import new devices, they will make their usual declarations at KRA. Here KRA will capture IMEIs of the new devices into the DMS. DMS will then verify if the IMEIs are of type approved devices. This information will stay on the DMS until a device is activated by inserting a SIM Card and switching ON, maybe when purchased. At this point, DMS will associate and lock the following data- IMEI + IMSI + MSISDN.
>

> I hope this provides the required clarity.
>

> Wambua

Hi Wambua,

Does this mean that if an individual (not vendor) bought a mobile
phone outside the country, and wanted to use it in Kenya, they would
have to register its IMEI with KRA, or otherwise get it into the
"DMS"? Why doesn't the CA instead use an already-existing database,
such as that from the GSMA [1]? Or is the intention not only to
disallow "counterfeit" devices, but also to shut down the grey market
[2] for mobile phones?

Also, what do you mean by "locking" the IMEI + IMSI + MSISDN data?
Does it mean that once one uses a mobile phone, with a particular SIM
card, on a particular network, then they will no longer be able to
switch SIM cards or networks on that phone?

[1] <http://www.gsma.com/managedservices/mobile-equipment-identity/the-imei-database/>
[2] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market#Cell_phones>

Joseph.