[kictanet] Invitation: Hacks/Hackers Nairobi Meetup, Wed 22 Feb, 6 - 8 pm, Nairobi Garage, Ngong Rd.

Florence Sipalla flo at codeforkenya.org
Mon Feb 20 11:32:41 EAT 2017

Topic: Think Before You Post!

Date: Wednesday, 22 February 2017

Venue: Nairobi Garage, Ngong Road, Piedmont Plaza, 4th Floor

Time: 6 – 8 pm

Today, many people can easily access the internet either on their
cellphones, through free Wi-Fi at educational institutions or workplaces.
The thousands of cyber-cafes that have come up in most urban and some rural
areas have also increased internet access.

Access to digital media technologies  means that everyone can now become a
publisher (blog) can create and distribute radio (podcast) and TV (video)
far and wide especially through social media platforms.  But how many
people think of the risks they face when they click that button to share
some interesting content they have come across or have created?

There have been reports in the media of people being arrested
<http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2016/04/08/blogger-david-zawadi-arrested-for-using-social-media-to-fuel-bank-woes_c1328452>
because of what they post online and others have lost their jobs
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/22/pr-exec-fired-racist-tweet-aids-africa-apology>
as a result of statements made online.  When journalists publish online,
they are bound by their code of ethics.  What issues should other netizens
take into consideration before posting information online?

Our guests for the February session of Hacks/Hackers Nairobi #HHNBO will
help us address the following questions:

1.       What ethical considerations do I need to make before posting
online?

2.      What are the legal ramifications of what I post online?

3.      Do my posts pose a risk to my personal security?

In addition, Code for Africa will showcase tools to track deleted tweets.

Guest speakers:

Henry Maina – Article 19
<https://www.article19.org/pages/en/east-africa.html>

Grace Githaiga – Kictanet <https://www.kictanet.or.ke/>

Hacks/Hackers Nairobi is a forum where journalists and techies meet on a
monthly basis to discuss issues that affect their work.

Speak out! Let your voice be heard!
To participate in the conversation, please sign up here
<http://bit.ly/2kx7IA4> and share the invite widely.

Follow us on Twitter <https://twitter.com/hhafrica> and Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/HacksHackersAfrica/>.