[kictanet] Fwd:[ALAC] .africa news and the business of Domains

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Sun Feb 12 17:36:06 EAT 2017

Waudo,
I see your viewpoint but think differently.

I have a company called Posix Systems (posix.co.za). I also registered
"posix.systems" at the first opportunity!
Posix LogoIn my logo - I have the word "Posix" on top of a map of
Africa. This is where my dreams are - to be all over Africa. I have the
Domains "posixafrica.com" and used to have "posix.africa.com". When
dotAfrica happens, I hope to get "posix.africa" - and probably drop the
"posixafrica.com" name.

("africa" will probably bite into the "com" business rather than the
ccTLD business)

 I'm in South Africa, but not in Durban, CapeTown or Joburg, so none of
these names really appealed to me - I have larger dreams.
As an ISP (not located in one small area) - and my name being "Posix
Africa" - the dotAfrica domain really makes sense to me.

I personally expect that a lot of companies who operate in multiple
African locations will go for a dotAfrica domain - thinking aggregation
rather than granularly.

I have a South African TradeMark on Posix and the corresponding SMD
(Signed Mark Data) token - which means I should be able to get my name
earlier in the Sunrise process in the launch of dotAfrica.
https://www.registry.net.za/launch.php?gen=1&contentid=120&title=ZACR%20Rights%20Protection%20and%20Mark%20Validation

So yesterday, ICANN had the name "africa" "added" to the IANA root. I
say "added" as there are not yet nameservers but its obvious that ICANN
is getting ready to complete the delegation to the ZACR.
http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/africa

As far as I am aware, all new gTLDs go through a Sunrise (for
trademarks) and Landrush (for the best names) process followed by some
time later by General Availability. As the ZACR already has three gTLDs
under their belt, I expect this process to go smoothly.

Anyway - I'm thinking big.