[kictanet] Talk-2-Safaricom, Day 5 of 6 (Friday): Technology & Elections

John - Blue Gate Technologies jmasiwe at bluegate.co.ke
Sat Feb 11 20:54:37 EAT 2017

Dear Listers,

+1 Rosemary.

I guess we need to extend the question to all holders of said personal data such as Telcos in general, e-Citizen, KRA/IFMIS, Banks, Insurance companies, Utility companies like Nairobi Water, KPLC, SportsPesa et al and a host of Private Sector organizations (e.g. Nakumatt et al and loyalty programs), PRSPs and all organizations that now require personal data for various online and mobile platforms etc.

This is becoming a grave concern in this Voter Registration period where we are increasingly getting unsolicited text-based messages that openly flout data privacy laws. While we all know Authorities/Institutions have a trove of our personal data which they can use in interesting ways, such open and blatant abuse should be discouraged.

John Masiwe

ICT Practioner/Citizen