[kictanet] HOW KENYA GAVE RISE TO AFRICA'S ICT REVOLUTION

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Thu Feb 9 14:04:33 EAT 2017

Listers

Interesting article.

Excerpt:-

Technology startups in Africa are going places. In 2016, they raised
funding in excess of $129 million (Sh13 billion), according to the just
released Disrupt Africa Report.

Kenya, South Africa and Nigeria were the top three beneficiaries of this
investor funding. Although the fintech sector received the highest funding,
fortunes are changing to agri-tech, which attracted the biggest percentage
growth compared to previous years.

Civil society, through the online discussion portal KICTANet, kept us in
check. Painful as their interactions were, we learnt to live together.

Read on:

How Kenya gave rise to Africa ICT revolution
<http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Opinion-and-Analysis/How-Kenya-gave-rise-to-Africa-ICT-revolution/539548-3805212-item-1-mvqruw/index.html>
My dear colleagues, this article from Dr. Ndemo really got me thinking
about how we got here as a country and how we can loose it quicker than we
built it.

There are four key ingredients that Ndemo mentions:-

1. Government
2. Business (established businesses that is..)
3. The Start-up and Innovation Ecosystem
4. Lobby Groups like KICTAnet. I'm specific not to call KICTAnet Civil
Society because it simply is not JUST CIVIL SOCIETY. I think you will agree
with me that KICTAnet has proved to be an inclusive platform where
Government, Civil Society and Business get to interact in all things ICT.

These key ingredients were then Orchestrated very well by the then
Government which comprised of the different arms of the ICT Ministry. The
Grand Master of this Orchestra, (or should I call him the Conductor?) was
the Permanent Secretary (Ndemo). And to some extent the CEO of the
precursor to the ICT Authority, Mr. Paul Kukubo.

The ingredients are there but the Conductor is missing in action. The MOICT
has chosen to ignore the players or basically be selective on who they work
with.  We see alot of interaction with established businesses but almost
zero interaction with the other ingredients.  And I want this discussion to
be taken in the spirit it is meant to be. It is not a criticism. It is an
observation and a plea from the heart.

Let me be specific:-

1. The MOICT apart from the CA is basically missing in discussions on this
list. We seem to be addressing ourselves. However, MOICT risks becoming
irrelevant in the discussions. ICT Authority is a shell of itself. PSs and
the CS probably read every post that is posted but choose to remain silent
and contribute nothing. I urge them to re-engage.

2. Demo Africa is the largest Tech Startup Platform in Africa. Founded and
run by Kenyans. A shout out to Harry Hare and Andrew Karanja and their team
for being absolutely great and boundless in driving this venture. Over 1800
Startups have passed through this platform. More than $50 million raised
for startups across Africa. Contribution from MOICT?

Zero. Zilch. Nada!! (To be fair they sponsored some startups to South
Africa last year..) The irony is not lost on me...

Demo gets more love in Nigeria, Egypt and South Africa. Now tell me Bwana
CS whether this is the legacy you want to leave?

3. CIO 100 East Africa. The most prestigious event of the year. MOICT
involvement? Negligible and shameful. Last years Keynote Speaker? Dr. James
Mwangi. I don't recall when a CS from MOICT last graced the event...

This is a plea to the missing ingredient. Let's reengage. For the
betterment of this country. When we criticize and point out issues its not
that we are against you. Its because we want you to be the best that you
can be.

Because we know that you are!!

A personal plea to PS Victor Kyalo and CS Joe Mucheru. We miss you and we
want you back in the community that you helped found.

*Ali Hussein*

*Principal*

*Hussein & Associates*

Tel: +254 713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

<http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>

13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,

Chiromo Road, Westlands,

Nairobi, Kenya.

Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
organizations that I work with.