[kictanet] The Politics of Data Privacy and Elections in KE

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 09:36:54 EAT 2017

Ms.Esther,

We need to specify, amend or enact at least 3 laws in Kenya...

(i) Data protection - includes privacy clauses but also covers "data
residency" - general situations when/where data must be resident in Kenya
or East Africa. This is to encourage data center development in our region.
Also to ensure we are not held hostage by evil, local and foreign actors. A
Kenyan firm may be allowed to host data in Mauritius, but a go.ke body only
back-ups.

For emergency services, it may be specified, data servers, MUST be hosted
locally + backed up across borders, within East Africa.

(ii) Privacy law - specific to privacy, but includes data (e.g. password)
protection clauses.

No need to travel to Canada to copy their Laws :)

http://www.servercloudcanada.com/2015/09/canadian-privacy-laws-canadian-cloud-primer-canadian-businesses/

(iii) "Access to information" law may be amended if it does not interpret
"Access" as either "Electronic" or "Physical". For example, Go.Ke
data/servers (electronic access) should be accessible by persons within
Kenya where there is no IP or GSM network connection.

Please follow up and keep us posted.

SMM

*"Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one
who takes a city." Prov 16:32*

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 9:35 PM, esther kamande via kictanet <